Splashing in Puddles



It was raining all night.
I know because it was lashing on the skylight windows of my bedroom.

Cosy and comforted, it reminds me always of childhood.
It’s the same sweet recall when I open the window wide to watch for the geese and feel the chilly blast of the wind on my face while I am cocooned in warmth.

It’s only a short walk from the cottage to the WWT site and there’s not much traffic in the lane.
I am accompanied all along with birds rustling and calling in the hedgerows and the near constant background “Goose Music”. (Aldo Leopold’s essay from Round River).
Then I see them.
Black, silvery grey and white wonders beside me in the field.

There are puddles all along the roadside and I take a diversion at every one.
Why would I risk getting my feet wet?

I wander along the main avenue of the site.
Wind is picking up.
Rain can’t be far away again.
The feeling is joyous but still I make a zig zag route around so many large muddy puddles.

But I have wellies on here, not my leaky walking boots.
I had forgotten.
It is so long since I had some.

Splash
Splash Splash

Wanton jumping in the wet.
Another memory from childhood...


















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spring Fling 2010

and the sky was the land and the land was the sky

Not Whining But Screaming